Moving large furniture can seem like an impossible task but we hope these tips below will help you move everything safely and easily. Here at Permian Self Storage we take the safety of our clients extremely seriously. It may seem easier to just call a costly removalist but we will show you it is just as simple to do it yourself with a little help from your favourite self storage team!
1. Take precautions to prevent injury when moving large furniture
– Lift with your legs, not with your back
– Bend at the knees, not at the waist
– Wear clothing that won’t snag on corners
– Always wear enclosed shoes
2. Carry tall items high and low
– Make carrying tall book cases or cabinets a two-person job. Tilt the furniture backwards and have one person pick up the bottom while the other carries the top. This will centre it’s weight and stop it from swinging, which makes it easier to carry. This also makes going up and down stairs easier as it matches the angle of the stairs.
3. Hook chairs around corners
– Large chairs can be the hardest thing to transport even though it isn’t the heaviest. To move a large chair through doors simply turn it on its side so it looks like an “L” and then curl it around the door frame to make for simple moving. If you can, even remove the chair’s feet or the back.
4. Don’t carry large furniture, slide
– Slide your furniture instead of carrying it but make sure your floor is protected with towels or cardboard. This is so you don’t damage the floors or furniture.
5. Protect large furniture with blankets and plastic
– When packing ensure you invest in high-quality packing material. For large furniture you may choose to cover them in blankets but don’t forget about the damage they could cause to smaller, more fragile items while in the moving van. Store these items in sturdy double lined boxes and bubble wrap. At Permian we sell a range of moving boxes and materials.
6. Take apart as much of the large furniture as possible
– Bulky furniture such as beds and tables are much easier to move once they are disassembled. It may be more work to begin with but it is much easier to carry smaller elements. This also makes it easier to protect from damages with less chance of dropping and bumping.
7. Remove the door from its hinges
– No matter how many parts of a piece of large furniture you can remove, sometimes it just won’t go through the door. In this case, removing the door from its hinges is the easiest and best solution. You only need a screwdriver to remove the screws from the hinges.
8. Rent an affordable storage unit on the ground floor
– If you’ve decided to make the excellent choice of storing your furniture at Permian, you don’t have to go through the struggle of trying to push everything through a door frame. Simply ask our friendly staff to show you to an affordable storage unit on the ground floor which make the moving process even easier!
9. Ask for Permian Self Storage’s help
– You may not have been able to drag your brother-in-law or cousins to help you move but you are not alone! If you need help when moving large furniture and boxes upstairs to your rental unit our forklift drivers are more than happy to help. Don’t worry about booking, they’re on-site all day every day. We also have trolleys to help you roll everything throughout the storage facility. Staff are not available to physically move items themselves, only to transport items upstairs with the forklift.
10. Use our moving truck or trailers
– Don’t have a big car available when moving large furniture? That’s okay! Permian Self Storage has a truck free for move-ins complete with a trolley and ropes. Simply be over 25, have a drivers license and you are good to go! After the first move-in, truck use is available for $25 per hour + $0.35 per kilometer at a 2 hour minimum.
– Trailers are also available to clients free of charge at all times
Have any further questions? Please don’t hesitate to contact us.
We look forward to hearing from you!