Whether you’re going on holidays or received a temporary job offer interstate, most of us will need car storage in Wollongong at some point. Preparing your car is vitally important to ensure it is ready to go when you return. Permian Self Storage have put together a checklist to help minimise overwhelm and to help you get the best from your vehicle.
1. Call Permian Self Storage
– Once you decide that you will need car storage in Wollongong, give Permian a call to reserve a parking space (subject to availability). We can hold units for up to 2 weeks with no deposit.
2. Keep it covered
– Preferably you can store your car in fully enclosed car garage however if that’s not an option, one of the easiest and most important things to do is put a cover over your car while it’s in storage. This will prevent sun damage and prevent dirt and leaves from building up in the crevices. You also need to ensure that the cover isn’t lose as this would lift up the debris and cause scratches on the paintwork over time.
3. Clean it
– It may seem counter intuitive to clean your car when your not going to use it for an extended period of time however this is also very important. Dirt buildup leads to rust and leaving the interior dirty can create unpleasant smells for when you return. Further, there’s nothing better than returning to a sparkling clean car!
4. Change the oil (long term)
– If you are leaving for more than a couple of months, drain and refill the oil so the dirty oil isn’t left sitting in the tank.
5. Fill the tank
– Do the same for the fuel tank if going for a long time. It also helps to have fuel in the tank for when you return.
6. Keep it charged
– If it’s an older car, you can disconnect the negative charge or purchase a trickle charger for a newer car which gives the battery just enough charge to prevent it from dying.
7. Don’t use the parking brake
– Keeping the parking brake on while you’re away will wear it down. Make sure you use wheel chocks to keep your car in place.
8. Keep pests out
– If you were to safely keep your car at Permian Self Storage we have regular pest control however you can never be too safe. Don’t forget to remove all foods and liquids from the car and put rags or tap in any holes to prevent bugs getting in.
9. If its an auto leave it in Park, manual leave it in gear
10. Mechanic’s advice
– Even though we have a lot of experience with storing vehicles, we are not mechanics and it is always best to check with one that you trust before doing anything further.
If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact us.
We looking forward to hearing from you!